Cristal - Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Upon reflecting late at night on the day’s events and personal thoughts about people and life in general, I always have a few deep and personally defining opinions, one that shapes every action that I do or thought that I make, one belief that makes me who I am. I believe that everyone deserves a fair chance.

When I hear about women on the nightly news who are brutally raped, get pregnant, and abort the baby, my sympathy does not, at first, go out to the woman who was raped, but the innocent child who never got a chance to become someone important, someone that mattered. Knowing the possibilities of that one child, knowing that the “product of rape” could find the cure for cancer or develop an alternative energy system, breaks my heart, to know that the tiny fetus inside that woman could be adopted, live a normal life with friends and family that love them, makes me sick to my stomach.

Listening in to one of my mother’s conversation in the car, when I was just eleven years old, my mother was talking to her close friend, Tran, a fairly young Chinese woman who had recently had an abortion, talking about some of her reasoning for aborting the helpless child, I overheard a few words about how she found out the sex of the child was a girl, immediately aborted her and decided to try for a boy, considering that in China, boys are more valued than girls, and Tran kept repeating about how her husband would be furious, so she told him she had a miscarriage.

My deep hatred for the complete unethical idea of abortion started there. Throughout my life, I have decided that some things are just more important than others, and that the more important things cannot be ignored. The life of an innocent child is way more important than the nine months of discomfort a woman must endure to bring a baby into this world. I cannot comprehend being able to kill the baby that is part of me, it is unfathomable.

In my mind, that little person deserves a chance to live. No matter how big or small, they at least deserve a chance. In this cold cruel world, no one would be able to survive without a chance to fight for themselves. A young aborted baby does not ever get the choice of what cereal to eat for breakfast, or which people to be friends with, let alone the choice to fight for their rights. And that is sickening.