Jennifer - Romulus, Michigan
Themes: children

When I was a Child

I believe that children are by far the wisest of all age groups. Therefore, when I grow up, I want to be a child.

As a child, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were as real and as close to me as family. Of all the millionaires in the world, the Tooth Fairy was definitely the richest. How else could she afford my teeth? I talked daily to my best friend, who didn’t live in a house or apartment, but inside my heart. When I was a child, I believed wholeheartedly in what I couldn’t see.

As a child, there was nothing more fascinating than watching a caterpillar’s trek down a fishing pole. A bumblebee was much scarier than a tornado or a serial killer. I would spend hours listening to my mom reading book after book but would fall asleep after twenty minutes of ‘Sesame Street’. When I was a child, the simplest things were far more valuable than anything else.

As a child, I would dance for song after song, no matter who was watching. Singing the right note wasn’t as important as singing at the top of my lungs. In the middle of a crowded theatre, I had no qualms in reassuring the characters on-screen “I’ll be right back, Fievel! I gotta go potty!” When others laughed at me, I was always laughing, too. When I was a child, I had no fear of what others would think; I was merely concerned with what I thought of myself.

As a child, any bruise or scratch could easily be cured with a kiss and a Scooby-Doo band-aid. Illnesses were chased away with Vernors and a bowl of chicken noodle soup. At the doctor’s office, I screamed louder before the shot than after. After falling down, I always got right back up and—with a quick brush-off—was off and running again. When I was a child, even the worst injuries could not keep me down for long.

As a child, I could become anything I wanted to be, whether an astronaut, doctor or fairy-tale princess. If I jumped high enough, I could reach the moon and the stars. Miracles were never far-fetched as long as God was behind them. With Him, all things were not only possible, they were probable. When I was a child, I understood that tiny miracles happened every day and that larger miracles were never far away.

As a child, I wanted to be an adult. I wanted to grow up and have people listen to my ideas, my thoughts. I wanted to become world wise and worldwide. When I was a child, I was sure that the best was yet to come.

I was wrong.

I’m not scared to grow older. I’m not afraid of growing up. Being an adult is what I fear—losing simplicity and innocence by gaining experience. I’d rather remain a child. I believe that they are the only ones who truly know what life is all about.