Laura - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Themes: children

I believe that the innocence of childhood should carry through to adulthood. Life is too stressful if taken seriously. Meetings, deadlines, goals. It is all way too much to handle without a bit of fairy dust. Do what you love. If you love to sing, but by no means are the next Pavarotti, sing. Just do it. Singing to oneself does not cause harm. Singing loud and strong can lift the adult blues right of your black.

Disney is magic. Nothing else can make me feel like a kid again like Walter Elias Disney. There is something undeniable about Disney Magic when a gang of high school seniors, boys included, will start belting out the lyrics to “A whole new world” whenever the phrase “I can show you the world…” is uttered. Even in the context of a serious, class lecture.

“A dream is a wish your heart makes, when you’re fast asleep” — Cinderella.

Once, something happened to me that no one else believes. I don’t quite remember how old I was, probably around five, but to me it is the idea that the innocence of childhood should carry through to adulthood. As a young child I did not know if I believed the whole god spiel that I heard once and a while at church, at a friends house, or on TV. One night I wanted chocolate…really, really bad. The parents tucked me in bed, and before I turned out my light, I prayed really, really hard, asking god for chocolate. The next morning low and behold, three Hershey’s Kisses were at my bedside. I believe to this day that god placed those little, delectable treats in my room during the night.

The magic of the Hershey’s Kisses is timeless like the magic of Disney. Whenever I am over my head in deadlines, I think of the chocolate or put on a Disney song in order to give myself a reality check. It is good not to take yourself too seriously and live life like a carefree child.

As I reach the point between childhood and adulthood, it is crucial for me to follow dreams. If the big, scary, pressures that coincide with being an adult, take over, I am afraid that I will forget how to dream. It is beyond crucial for me to believe. Believe in endless possibilities. To quote from the master of believing “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.” I’m pretty sure that Cinderella never gave up… she did marry Prince Charming after all.