Samantha - Mesquite, Texas

Sometimes tasks are too hard to accomplish alone, and sometimes problems are too big to keep bottled inside. It’s okay to ask for help. I used to always think people would laugh at what I felt were problems. Each and every tiny thing that bothered me was hid away from the rest of the world because I was too afraid to tell anyone. The problems soon consumed me. I believe that it is better to get help than to try and face problems alone. No one will laugh, and no one will think you’re weird.

My problems became the fodder for an even bigger problem. I cried myself to sleep every night. I stopped eating. Daily life ended for me. I could find no joy or satisfaction in simple pleasures anymore; I was too focused on trying to keep everything inside. It hurt and I was scared. There was no way out. Every day more problems were added to my list, and the list kept getting bigger and bigger. It was too much to handle. I felt pieces of myself chipping away; soon there wouldn’t be anything left. I would be a puddle of woe and despair.

When I finally told a friend about some of the things that were bothering me, he didn’t laugh. All he did was sit and listen. There were a few problems that he offered to help with. With each problem I told him about, the load lightened. The bindings that were strapped across my soul released, and I was free to breath again. Others laughed at some of the problems, yes, but not in a cold-hearted way. In fact, I felt better after I heard them laugh, for that meant that my problems were as bad as they seemed. My friends offered support, and no one called me stupid for my problems. It was okay to tell them. All they did was help me. It is okay to talk to others and share what’s on your mind. Even if someone laughs, it is better than keeping the issue locked away. Others can only free you from your problems. This I believe.