Jessica - Van Horne, Iowa
Themes: courage

I believe that acting helps refresh who I am as an individual.

When I act, whether on stage or in front of a small crowd, nothing can touch me. I am in a state of mind unlike any other. I feel the adrenaline rush, my heart beating fast.

Acting for me is a break from my own personality and my way of life. I love the feeling of being someone else—whether that person is good or evil. I like to take traits from past characters I have played to help mold my own life.

I have been acting ever since I was in the eighth grade. I was first cast as a chorus member in the musical Bye, Bye Birdie. Ever since that first show, all I have wanted to do was act and act and act!!

Last year, I was inducted into the International Thespian Society. This induction was a huge event in my life that I will never forget. An even bigger event, however, was being cast as the lead in the spring play of this, my senior year—Anne of Green Gables.

When I practice as Anne Shirley, I become this wild, unstoppable force. I feel a sense of calm and peacefulness when the practices are over. I would give anything to feel this high all the time. I battle with depression, so when I have a chance to act—I take it.

Before I go on to perform, I am usually stressing out back stage about something very minimal. But as soon as I hit that stage, I am a totally different person. Seeing the bright lights and all of those faces, I know that I can’t let them down. If I were to let my audience down, I would be letting myself down. Acting offers a switch to turn myself on and off.

Anne Shirley is an optimistic little girl with big hopes and dreams. She never gives up on anything and loves everyone for his or her personality quirks. Anne’s main goal is to merely be accepted for who she is. Which is what we all want and need in the end.

I envy Anne’s ability to see the good in folks…and in life in general. I am trying to see through her eyes and model my life after hers. I know that Anne Shirley of Green Gables, Avonlea, Canada is a fictional character, but I hope to bring her completely to life. By embodying her insuppressible spirit, I feel that I can better myself and my world.