Ashley - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in laughter. Laughter, I think, is the key to happiness. Without laughter in your life, I don’t think you would be able to survive.

Ever since I was little, I have been trying to get laughs out of people any way I could. I was always doing a crazy little dance or telling the same knock-knock jokes at the chance of getting a small laugh out of anyone. Whenever I would get even the slightest laugh out of someone, it made me so happy. There was a sense of fulfillment and joy that was so addicting and I wanted it all the time.

I think the biggest influence on my humor would be my close friends and family. I’ve been around my dad’s side of the family all my life and they all love to laugh too. Not only do I make them laugh, but they can make me laugh in return. But this isn’t just any old laugh. It’s a tears rolling down your face, stomach aching, can’t breathe kind of laughter. I think that’s the best kind of laughter that there is. Knowing something can make you that happy and make you laugh so hard that it hurts is one of the best feelings in the world.

Whenever I’m feeling upset or sad, my friends are the people I always go to. Not only are they understanding, but they know how to cheer me up. They could make me laugh by saying something so outrageous or so ridiculous but it really doesn’t matter because in the end, I’m laughing and have a huge smile on my face. I truly don’t think I could ever be friends with someone who didn’t enjoy laughing as much as I really do.

Now don’t get me wrong, laughing isn’t the only way you can be happy. There are other things in life that bring joy to people all of the time. It could be getting a good grade on a test, or maybe waking up to a beautiful sunny day. But have you ever met or talked to someone who doesn’t laugh? Well I have and I can say that they didn’t seem to be too happy at all. Imagine if everyone in the world was like that, never laughing at all. The world would not be a happy place to live in.

In life, there are so many ups and downs, and trust me I know this from personal experience. I’ve had loses in my life and I’ve had my fair share of problems too. Yes, they may just be you’re normal high school drama problems, but being that I’m in high school and that’s what my life revolves around, anything that happens there is a big deal. I can honestly say that without laughter in my life, I may have never gotten through everything I’ve had to deal with. In the worst of times and even the best, laughter has always been something for me to rely on. I know that when I get that gut wrenching, can’t breathe kind of laugh, I can say that I am truly happy.