Chris - Forest Lake, Minnesota

I Believe…

I am only nineteen years old. I don’t even try to delude myself with the idea that I have everything figured out in life. Actually, I feel that I have no clue about a lot of things in this life. I have no idea what to believe, and I have no idea how to figure everything out. I am only nineteen years old. Maybe I will never know what I believe. Maybe I am not supposed to figure it all out. Is it possible to go through life without knowing what you believe?

I believe that you could go through life relying on emotion alone. You don’t need to know what you believe in order to survive. I don’t know what I believe. I approach any idea with an open mind and I feel that that is the only thing that I can do. I don’t think that it is good to approach every situation with your own beliefs on your mind, or in your heart. In order to be completely impartial we need to leave all of our beliefs about the real world behind. It sounds absurd, but it is true that our own beliefs cloud our judgment in the slightest of ways in every situation. I know that it is contradictory of me to say that this is my belief, but I don’t know how else to say it.

Everybody in the world has their own beliefs, and this is my one true belief. Our beliefs cloud our judgment and set us on an almost pre-determined course in every situation. So, maybe it isn’t that I am not able to figure out what I believe, but that I don’t want to figure it out because I want to remain impartial in all that I do in life. Maybe I don’t want my own beliefs to cloud the situations that I am in and I will be in, in the future. I know that emotions however could cloud any situation, but if my beliefs are non-existent or suppressed I will be more impartial than anyone who lets their beliefs guide their every move or decision in life.

Like I said though, I am only nineteen years old. I am still young and I know that my beliefs about the world may change, or they may stay the same in that I don’t let them take precedence in my everyday life. Who knows? I don’t. I don’t presume to know everything, and I don’t presume to know anything. I don’t even know things about myself, and I don’t even know myself at times. So, at nineteen, I do what I can and that is all I can do.