Courteney - miami, Florida

I believe in friendship. I live and breathe for my friends and I do not know what I would do with out them. I believe in having someone there for you at all times can help you through any problem or obstacle you encounter. I believe that friendship is the key to living a good life. If you are lonely and do not have a friend to speak to daily, or to help you with some homework, or just to be there to share great times with, you are missing out on a lot. My friends are my saviors. When I have a bad day at work and I am very stressed with school, I take a break and hang out with some of my friends. They make me forget about all my worries and make me enjoy life. Even though the stress is still there, you have other things to think of that are joyful.

When my aunt passed away at an early age of 43 from cancer, the only thing that kept me going were my friends. It was one of the hardest times in my life; I did not want to do anything. I wanted to quit my job, drop out of school and stay home for the rest of my life. I felt like I was missing a part of me without her. When I heard my sister scream, “Titi died!” that early Sunday morning, a shock went through my body. My first instinct was to cry, and right then I called my best friend. She consoled me and calmed me down because my father and sister were hysterical and I was the only hope. Without my best friend, we would not have been able to drive to my aunt’s house where my mother and other family members were waiting for us.

The time came for her funeral and of course it was very tough. Seeing my aunt’s dead body in a casket was devastating. I burst into tears, and left the room. I could not stand to look at her like that. She did not deserve it at all; I did not understand why it had to be her. It was one of the harshest feelings I had ever felt and I did not know what to do with myself. When my friends got to the funeral, I suddenly felt relieved. They brought their love and condolences to me and helped me through the rest of the day. I did not cry one more tear that night with them there. I felt that even though I lost a loved one, I have so many others still with me and I actually think I can live with it.

I believe in having people there for you whenever you need someone. I believe you need to have at least that one person who you love, trust and admire; someone who you can count on when you are down or when you are just bored at home doing nothing. I believe in having someone that is just a phone call away when you need to speak to someone. I believe in friendship.