Chris - Calgary, Canada
Themes: prejudice

As a child I grew up in a very sheltered neighborhood in terms of prejudice. I grew up in a white middle class family and went to a white middle class school, and did what most white middle class boys do in their childhood. Needless to say, I have not witnessed prejudice first hand very often in my life, in fact I hardly saw any at all being directly aimed at a minority until I went to Texas on vacation.

At first I noticed an abundance of black people that I had never seen before. I then came to notice that the mostly associated themselves with people of their color, as did the whites, asians or any other race that I saw. As I neared any of these groups that were not of my own color, I began to feel unwanted by them. The signal was subtle, but it was obvious. I had never felt this way before, as being from a mainly white area, there were not enough members of other races to form such groups, so the minorities were generally accepted by everyone else in the community and treated in the same way as well.

As I further observed this new sight, I began to uncover the root of what was going on. Each member of each race had a deep prejudice against all other colors and beliefs instilled in them when they were children. They all had their own media that they followed, unlike the universal media that generally everybody in my hometown watches. Each media portrayed the other races in a negative light. They did this to capture their demographic by portraying them as the hero, by using anybody else as a villain to grab ratings. Who wouldnt want to watch a show that they are a hero in? These beliefs manifested into the citizens minds and developed into prejudice. People believe what they see, and they act upon what they believe.