Jillian - Ft. Wright, Kentucky

This I believe…

I believe in the importance of living for today. Although this and similar sayings such as “live in the moment” are heard frequently the magnitude of their worth can not be realized until you fail to live by this principle and miss crucial memories. Living for today is a fundamental philosophy in my life. Unfortunately, I did not come to it until I lived through a traumatizing event.

On July 14th, 2001, the anchor of my family, my dad, unexpectedly passed away. This was the man who worked six days a week, yet still managed to attend every sporting event and performance I was in. This was the man I heard every week on the sidelines of my soccer games shouting, “Go, Scooch, Go! Turn on those wheels.” This was the man who picked me up every Friday, bought me ice cream and took me to the airport to watch the planes land and take off. His death was extremely shocking for he was only fifty and my personal hero. I felt that he had been ripped away from me and had so much more to offer in his life, as well as more that I needed to share with him.

After my dad’s death I was constantly scared about the future. I worried for my mom and the financial issues of sending me to a private Catholic school—problems that a twelve year old should not be overwhelmed with. It was at this point that I developed my philosophy that I need to live for today, not yesterday or tomorrow, but here and now. I decided that tomorrow’s struggles are not for today’s worries. One of the biggest mistakes people make is assuming that tomorrow is going to be more important than today, but why shouldn’t we just focus on today? Robert J. Hastings wrote a parable that I try to follow. “It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad. Rather. It is regret over yesterday or fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today.” We often worry about trivial issues that occupy time that we could be spending with our family and friends.

Since the death of my dad, the bible has provided me with a source of comfort. When I am in need of strength and wisdom, I will open the bible to a random passage, and when I least expect it, God speaks to me through Scripture. Matthew 6:31 is a passage that spoke volumes to me: “So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear? Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.” These words are a constant influence for me. By living for today, I am able to experience memories with family and friends and have limited regrets.

“This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it”

Psalm 118:24