Angelina - Cary, North Carolina

I remember being a child and going to church every Sunday morning, or going to the evening Mass that was held on Saturdays. Going to Christmas Mass, or Easter mass was understood that it was going to happen every year. That was our family tradition. I was baptized when I was born, received my first communion in second grade, learned about penance, and received confirmation my junior year in high school. It seemed so minuscule and silly at the time to robotically participate in all those traditions but as I’ve grown older I have realized the importance of it all, and my knowledge on Christianity has become broader. I was lucky enough to participate in numerous conferences through the programs at the YMCA. I went away on the weekends for those events and was introduced to speakers who spoke with a Christian message but did not force us, or preach to us about practicing a certain Religion. The YMCA was nondenominational and I learned to worship and experience my faith differently. I am not the type of person to go out and preach to people about my faith and what I believe in, and try to persuade them to believe in the same thing. There is a new song out on the radio now, where the first few lines bring up faith, “I’ve had big dreams come true and I believe in / Angels although I can’t see them / They’re watching everything I do…” Having recently lost my grandmother and dealing with the death of a good friend I have to believe in something. It is extremely comforting to think that they are in a better place now, watching over me. Whether someone is an atheist or a devout Christian, faith is their building block, it is their foundation. I feel that when we have something drastic happen in our lives it puts things into perspective. I think Hugh Grant said it best in his opening monologue in Love Actually he said, “Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinions starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere…When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge – they were all messages of love…” I remember vividly when the Twin Towers were hit. We didn’t have a chance to be angry. When Hurricane Katrina hit, Americans donated food, clothes, money, and they opened their homes to those in need. When something massive like that happens we become a unit and life gets a little lighter for a brief moment. Our faith shines through the gloomy state that we are all in. People who have lost everything start to smile and realize how lucky they are to be alive. That’s faith.