Gregory - Calgary, Canada
Themes: prejudice

I Believe…

I believe that prejudice is just another way on how people can direct their discontent with the world. I feel that prejudice can be very harmful to people because those people are getting judged on their appearance, background and parenting. Just like Hitler had done with the Jewish population, or the United States with the black people, all everyone who is involved with prejudice is singling out someone of another origin.

I’ve had experience with prejudice because I am of Asian descent. Some people have judged me right off the spot and had assumed, because of my skin tone or how I had looked that I was a native. It had infuriated me because I hate how some people can assume that I’m someone else then who I was before. Another experience with prejudice is that when I was carrying a lighter, I was labelled as being a smoker. I was ready to go up to that person and say, “I’m sorry, does it look like that I have cigarettes or that I smell of nicotine. I use these lighters for fireworks or to light bonfires up at my cabin in B.C.” Prejudice hurts because it only helps to separate the world instead of bringing it together. One last piece of prejudice I absolutely loathe is that how everyone at my school is labelled as being “retarded” because we have special needs. The people that go to that school are as intelligent as any other student in the public system and that we need extra help having different things taught to us.

I personally do not think that the world will ever be able to live without prejudice in this lifetime because people find something different in others no matter what. I also believe that people who are prejudice are cowardice because they have to find something to make themselves feel better, like Hitler had done.