Jared - Rexburg, Idaho

Drinking From the Milk Jug

I believe in drinking from the milk jug. Even in an apartment with roommates that mark their individual milk cartons with proclamations such as “Stealing is a sin” or “Fattening: do not drink,” with the word “fattening” spelled wrong; I drink from the carton. Most of my five roommates shoot me dirty looks or whine for me to use a glass when they see me chugging my nutritious college student breakfast. However, to me drinking milk from the jug is a way of life.

You see, there are the people who drink from the milk carton–and those that don’t; there is no in between. Just like there are people who put their dishes in the sink or directly into the dishwasher. Some will gulp, and some will pour. In every aspect of my life I drink from the milk carton. I’m not the kind of person who lets problems get to me; this helps me to live my life one day, one minute, one second, one swig at a time. People who sweat the small things in life will pour their milk into glasses, put their dishes into the dishwasher, and plan their lives out years in advance. Living my life by each swig from the milk carton allows me to fully appreciate its natural flavor, unspoiled by a plastic cup. My life is directly poured into me, with nothing between myself and the complete experience of drinking from a half-full jug of milk.

One of my recent swigs at life came during one of my break at an old job when I returned a call from one of my best friends to learn that later that night one of my favorite bands was coming into town. I quickly talked my boss into letting me leave early and drove about an hour to the nearest run-down venue, to see an almost unheard of group perform for an audience of about twenty. And to tell the truth, I had an amazing time in spite of the lack of planning. My decisions may seem impulsive or even rash, but the choices I make, and the actions that I take allow me to seize my days and have an unprecedented level of control on how they start and finish, as well as everything in between.

I drink my milk, and live my life by the gulp as I silently raise a toast: To those who take control and enjoy life day by day, to those who experience life with each passing memory, and to everyone who drinks from the milk carton. Life isn’t meant to be planned, it’s meant to be lived. Forget cups.