Eric - Upper Saddle River, New Jersey

“Ah, music. A magic beyond all we do here!” –J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

I hadn’t ever really listened to music until April of 2005, when I was about 12 years old. I was talking to my friend online, when she asked me if I liked the band Linkin Park. I had to admit that I wasn’t really a ‘listener’ as I called most people in the environment around me, which consisted mainly of the snobby rich people of Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, most of whom listen to only the most popular music; almost all rap at the time. It took some explaining, but once she understood what I meant, she decided to send me her favorite song, Numb.

After listening to it a few times and making sense of the lyrics, I decided that it was my favorite song. I looked into the band and learned that it had a huge underground following, and that they had written other songs similar to ‘Numb’. The idea of a whole album of such good songs was completely new to me. I immediately went to Limewire and downloaded all of their songs.

Linkin Park was now my favorite artist, which led me into other artists and eventually other forms of music. Music soon became my life, and I listened to it whenever I could. I met people from around the world on the forums of all the different bands and singers. Music was a whole new level of things to talk about.

Now it’s almost 2 years later, and Linkin Park is still overall my favorite band, Numb my permanent favorite song. The girl whose same copy of Numb I still listen to now hates me. I have to thank her though, for bringing me into the world of modern music. My iTunes library now has over 2500 songs in it, and I love all of them. I believe in music, and this I believe.