Michael - Sterling Hgts., Michigan

I believe the world would be a better place without George W. Bush as the President of the United States.

Some people say that George W. is a president with good morals, but I have reasons why he is not.

George W. Bush has ruined America’s reputation with his war in Iraq. He lied to the American people and said that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction that were a big threat to the security of the United States of America. He said Saddam played a huge part in 9/11 and that we should go to war with Iraq as well as Afghanistan to catch Osama Bin Laden. Later data showed that Saddam had no connection with 9/11. We now have over 150,000 troops stationed in that country for no particular reason while they could be stationed in Afghanistan to help catch Osama Bin Laden. Over 3,000 American troops have died during this four year war while many more innocent civilians have died as well.

Bush has wasted billions of tax payer dollars on this war that could be used to take care of important American domestic issues, such as poverty and border security. This war is a huge black eye for the Unites States government.

Bush has acted very irresponsibly in many other ways during his tenure in office. He failed to respond appropriately after Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast. It took him and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) four days after the storm hit to send to right relief supplies to the region. If he can not respond well to a natural disaster, than how do we expect him to respond appropriately to another terrorist attack? Bush has also spent tax payer money very poorly during his tenure in office. When he first came into office, there was a $108 million surplus.

After his first term in office, there was a $520 million deficit. His tax cuts and big spending have put America in a deep financial hole. Many of his spending proposals are ridiculous. For example, in 2004 he proposed spending $410 million on a mission to Mars. That single trip was much more money than the $374 million deficit that we had at that time! His tax cuts have also screwed America. In 2003, he proposed a $1.6 trillion tax cut over 10 years. It was supposed to be a cut that would benefit the middle class. 31% of American taxpayers got literally no money from the cut while the wealthiest 1% of Americans got the most at over $96,000 each.

I also disagreed with how Bush created his wiretapping program without a warrant. This incident creates more power for the executive branch that they do not need to have. This incident could lead to many more incidents where the President keeps information secret from the American public. This information could be important information such as information on the War in Iraq and the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast region.

This information written explains clearly how America would be a better place without George W. Hopefully America will elect a more responsible and more caring President in 2008.