Jessica - Mandan, North Dakota

I believe that many Americans, myself included, have or use computers as crutches. Why crutches? Computers and other electrical/computer like devices serve me personally like a crutch in disguise because we rely on them for everything. I rely on them for all kinds of different aspects of my daily life and when one piece of equipment goes down, I am at a loss for what to do.

A prime example is when a copier – fax – printer machine combo or computer goes on the fritz. This happened just recently at my office. From 7 a.m. that day when I arrived to find my copier – fax – printer combo was not working until 10 a.m. when the repairman could get there to remove a piece of jammed paper I could not get at, I was at a complete loss. Now, being the office manager for a fairly small and easy going company, I survived as many people would. It was not all that difficult to find something else to do. However, if my job duties would not be so wide spread with-in the company or it was our busy time of the year…that mere three hours would have been pure torture. That day my crutch was broken and not working. I was creative that day and did “other” things to until my crutch was repaired.

Another crutch, that needs some repair after two weeks of waiting for parts, is our company’s back up drive system. The part is late on back order, so I have had to rely on our office in Fargo to back up our information in case of a loss. When a co-worker of mine accidentally deleted an entire file from the server, we became an entire office of broken crutches. To get the needed back-up information back from our main branch, we all had to log off of the server, everyone in the office. Now again, we all found other work to do because we each spread out our responsibilities but in a larger and more diverse office, I don’t know what would have happened. Our crutch was broken and we were all temporarily out of work. Thankfully, in this instance, our tech support repaired the problem in less than 10 minutes and got us up and running fairly quickly. We got back to our “normal,” walking with two legs, daily lives.

At my particular office, we are lucky to be forced to walk with crutches occasionally or for a very short amount of time and not very often. I personally cannot imagine what it would be like in a bigger metropolitan area than the one I live in or in a big firm where walking on crutches might be more of a problem. I am one of the fortunate ones where walking on crutches is easy: Technology, How I Love Thee!