Erin - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the simplicity of everyday life. I believe in treating everyday as if an adventure, and taking pleasure in the moments you tend to overlook. Simply living in the moment. In a time where not being busy is usually looked down upon, and considered a waste of time, living in the moment might seem hard. What happened to the enthusiasm in simple things we had when we were younger? Well its been replaced with the stress trying to make deadlines, and always having somewhere to be.

This morning while I was getting ready I looked at my clock and realized that I had seven minutes till class. Seven minutes to run down three flights of stairs and get my butt across campus. Walking as fast as my legs could carry me, I looked up and saw the morning sun shining through the barren limbs of the old towering trees on campus and let the cold morning air fill my lungs. Then I remember being a minute or two late wouldn’t mean the end of the world – I could risk the embarrassment of walking into lecture slightly late.

Americans seem so materialistic, and think that the newer, better whatever will make them happy. What about sitting around laughing with friends till your face hurts, or the midnight runs to IHOP because there’s nothing better to do.. Those everyday occurrences that are overlooked, are where I think true happiness lies. Appreciate those times you spend sitting around just watching TV with those friends.

When you were younger everything was an adventure, and the little thing could keep you entertained. I believe in carrying that childlike simplicity and sense of adventure throughout life. I don’t mean go out and climb that tree your backyard, even though I am guilty of still climbing the occasional one. I mean spend more time doing what makes you smile, and don’t take so many things in life for granted. I believe in seeking out the beauty in nature, in the everyday life.

John V. Cheney said that the happiest heart that ever beat, was in some quiet breast that found the common daylight sweet, and left to Heaven the rest. Take that extra minute to savor that morning coffee, or to stop and let the world around you just soak in. Next time you’re walking to your car on a clear night look up. Take in that amazing view of the sea of tiny constellations overhead. To me that is enjoying the simplicity in life, the beauty; it can do wonders.