christine - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in charity.

Webster’s dictionary defines charity as:

1. Love for mankind.

2. Generosity to the needy

3. Organization for helping the needy.

4. Kindness in judging others.

There should be few, if any, negativity surrounding the act of charity and yet the world today has found a way to corrupt this. The world uses the word charity, carelessly. The world is deceitful and causes confusion for those that have made an attempt to give. The world will influence you to believe that whatever it is you give, it will never be enough compared to how much is needed. This idea should encourage the nation to work together, but at the same time whether helping one individual or large groups of people, every effort counts.

I wouldn’t say that all people are purposely selfish. I believe the nation is surrounded by the idea of “me, me, me.” causing Americans to be ignorant. The media would be a perfect example. While being successful is important, people have combined success with selfishness. They think you must first become rich to be able to give when in reality; average people can contribute just the same.

A group of people that I’d imagine would always be practicing charity are Christians. The Bible strictly says in First Corinthians: Charity faileth not. Charity is positive on both ends whether it be giver or receiver. The world has tried to corrupt the thought of “feeling good” about helping someone else. Though it should not be the main purpose of giving, one may feel a sense of peace knowing that they are affecting someone’s life in a positive way. On the receiving end, charity could be seen as a blessing. The feeling of loneliness could vanish with one small act of charity. The thought that another human being cares could perhaps help one get through another day.

I believe in charity.