Scott - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I Believe

I believe that the world would be a better place without religion. First I would like to note that I’m not an atheist, I have a religion and I believe in it. The only problem that I have with religion is that it separates people. People have suffered greatly due to religion. The Holocaust, Jihads, Crusades, and other religious wars could have been avoided if religion didn’t exist. Religion also increases discrimination between people. The Protestants have looked down on Catholics and on Jewish people. Although discrimination doesn’t occur as much as it used to, it is still a serious problem in the world and the world would be a better place without religion.

Wars occur for many reasons, but the most important issues are land, power, and religion. When you think of a horrible event that has occurred because of religion, you think of the Holocaust. Millions of people lost their lives in concentration camps because they were Jewish. People who didn’t deserve to die wouldn’t have died. People like Anne Frank, who’s only fault was being Jewish during the Nazi reign. If you read “The Diary of Anne Frank” then you would know the needless suffering that her and every Jewish person went through. A more recent event was the attack on the World Trade Center. The reason that thousands of innocent people lost their lives is because some Middle Eastern Man thought him and his religion were wronged. People believe in a religion so greatly that they are willing to die or even kill over it. Most of the wars or conflicts, where innocent people die, could have easily been avoided if religion didn’t exist.

It is a known fact that religion separates people. When people get to know someone, one of the first questions may be about their religion. As soon as you hear what they say you start to judge. If they they’re Muslim then one may think they are terrorists and if they’re Jewish then one may think they are greedy and cheap. With all religions come stereotypes and stereotypes are used to discriminate. It is also not a coincidence that every president, with one exception, is Protestant. People don’t want Catholic presidents because they think that the Pope controls Catholics. The Egyptians thought that they were better than the Jewish people so they enslaved them. I know that religion brings hope to many people and that some people use religion to rise above things, however you don’t necessarily need religion. Religion is good for one thing, to make somebody not lonely, to give someone another someone to talk to. Religion is just a friend. People will always be discriminated against and there will always be someone around, but at least there would be one less thing to discriminate against if religion did not exist.

I believe that the world would be a better place without religion. Although religion creates hope among people, it also creates war and despair. In this case the good definitely out-weighs the bad Therefore, if there were no religion then there would be one less thing to worry about in this, already troubling, world.