Anthony - Sterling Heights, Michigan
Themes: environment

I believe that global warming is the world’s number one problem. People hear about it, but just won’t do anything to prevent it or to help fix it. They figure that they do not have to worry about it, probably because they don’t see any drastic changes happening around them. The thing is, that there are drastic changes happening, and most people just don’t notice them. In the past one hundred years the earth’s average temperature rose one degree. That takes a lot of heat to make the entire earth average out to a one degree increase.

The top five warmest years on record for the earth’s temperature in order are 1998 and 2005 are tied for first, 2002 is third, 2003 is fourth, and 2004 is fifth. Is it a coincidence that the warmest years are just from the past decade? The industrial revolution began about 240 years ago, that’s when humans developed machines which would consume fuel. All of the pollution from the industries began building up then. Later on the automobile greatly contributed to that. We are now seeing the effects of that pollution, our temperatures are rising.

Since the temperature is rising, that has taken its toll on earth’s weather. Hurricanes, more specifically, global warming had affected the most. The 2005 hurricane season was the most intense and active recorded in history. Previous to the 2005 year the record was 21 named storms, this hurricane season in 2005 brought us 27 named storms. This is when more and more people should begin to worry. Now they can see this global warming taking effect on the world. Climatologist Kerry Emanuel of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology led a study on recent storm strength. His studies show that major storms in both the Atlantic and the Pacific, since the 1970’s, have increased in duration and intensity by about 50 percent. This could lead to show a relationship between global warming and major storm strength.

Global warming is also leading to the melting of the polar ice caps. That has led to an increase of water dumped into the ocean. The ice caps contain 70% of the earth’s fresh water. As it melts away into the ocean we are losing that fresh water.

What we need to do is try to minimize pollution. Finding a new source of energy that is environmentally safe would be perfect to turning global warming around. Hybrid cars help and so does car pooling. Some small things that you can do to help prevent global warming are: recycle, reuse grocery bags, give away clothes instead of throwing them away, don’t waste electricity, and ride your bike instead of driving places just to name a few.

Overall I believe global warming is the world’s number one problem. More people need to be more aware of it and what the future of our earth will be like if we keep up what we are doing. It is not too late to help prevent it, but it may be if we ignore it.