Ashlea - Sterling Hts., Michigan

I believe that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. This should not only apply to literature but to people as well. Judging a book by its cover is when you make a judgment based on the appearance of an object. This could be the art on the cover of a book or a person’s appearance. You make these judgments not knowing what’s on the inside. The significance of something isn’t always obvious from an appearance.

An example of judging a book by its cover is when you first meet a person. You create personal opinions about their appearance before they even open their mouths. These opinions then lead you to make judgments about what type of character they are and how they live their life. Most of the time, these opinions are completely wrong. You already have taken away a chance to get to know them.

I once judged a person on how they looked. Her name is Sandra Fron and I hated every detail about her. I was always jealous of how she always had perfect hair and that fashion sense to die for. I always despised having to see her and wanted nothing to do with her. I thought that she was arrogant and mean. I made all these opinions without ever even talking to her. I know that sounds ridiculous but what can I say, its high school. If you fast forward a few years, we ended up having to be in a class together. We had to sit by each other so we eventually started to talk. We’re now best friends and I don’t know what I’d do if she wasn’t in my life. We have so much in common its crazy. I still can’t believe I thought all that bad stuff about her and she ended up being the best friend I ever had. If I would’ve thought about all those negative things and never talked to her I would’ve missed out on the most important friendship I’ve ever had.

I’m very big fan of books and I love to read. I’ve heard people call me a bookworm more than anything. I can’t help but pick out the books that have the best artwork on the front, or a cover that catches my eye from across the room. Most of them were books I had to force myself to finish. I’ve noticed that some of the best books I’ve read had boring, next to no artwork on the cover. It’s better to judge a book by the summary than the visuals it provides.

You have to realize that not everybody looks their best everyday. You could miss out on knowing the nicest person just because they were having a bad day. The key is to put aside your judgment. In today’s fashion forward world, many people dress according to their values. Some even freely display their beliefs with sayings on their shirts. This could give you some insight as to what or who they are but not much. They could be wearing a certain saying on their clothes as a fashion trend. You need to get to know how people are on the inside before you completely judge them from the outside.

Through not judging things, your sense of self is able to gain more power. It opens you up to be a more optimistic person. Constantly judging things could mean you’re missing out on important life lessons. All you have to do is look past the surface to see the beauty inside.