Michelle - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in believing in yourself. Not just saying that you believe in yourself, but actually having faith in yourself, accepting that you are more than just a ‘nobody’ in this world.

Having high self-esteem is what has helped me believe in myself the most. Although I didn’t always have high self-esteem, building self-respect and confidence has encouraged me to believe in myself. I used to see girls who were excessively skinny, gorgeous, and always happy. What I seemed to think was ‘perfect’. This was until I discovered that these girls appeared perfect on the outside, but were really struggling with eating disorders, had surgery to make themselves ‘beautiful’, and were coping with depression. Once I realized this, I decided not only were they not perfect, but I did not want to be jealous of them anymore. I can accept myself for who I really am. Sometimes when I look at that type of person, I need a little self-assurance, but only until I remember what they really represent. I don’t need other people to make me feel good about myself. I am thankful for whom I am, and I value myself.

Believing in myself is not something that has always come easy for me. It took acceptance and also building character. I have learned to have a positive attitude as much as possible. It takes just as much energy, so I would rather see the good in a situation, rather than the bad. People prefer to be around a happy person instead of a negative one. I have decided to trust my own judgment. I say decided because I used to follow what other people were doing instead of making my own choices. Then I realized that that would not get me anywhere in life, and I had to follow what I believed was right. My friends and family have helped me build character, by being positive and supportive in everything I do. Also, my beliefs have given me strength to follow my heart. I have learned that if you hold your head high, people see you differently. Even if I don’t feel confident with something, I hold my head up. As a result, people believe I am confident, and then I start to believe it myself.

Another thing that has helped me to believe in myself is not worrying about what other people think of me. I don’t obsess about someone liking what I am wearing or how I look. It doesn’t matter to me. If they don’t like it, they can deal with it. I have also learned to accept compliments. It makes you appear confident. I have encountered many experiences. This has given me many opportunities for success or failure. The success that I have experienced has helped me to believe in myself. The failure that has arisen has helped me learn from my mistakes, making me a stronger person.

When you believe in yourself, you have nothing left to worry about. If a tough situation arises, you know that you can pull through and overcome the obstacle. It does not matter how other people handle the situation, you will have enough confidence to turn the situation around and make it a positive impact on your life. I have learned that it is not worth being insecure because when you believe in yourself, you achieve more in life.