Edmon - Sterling Heights, Michigan
Themes: war

I believe in war.

Now don’t jump to conclusions just because of what war is. There are different types of wars that serve different purposes.

I believe in a good war, one that takes out the bad guys, the terrorists, the enemy. War is the beginning of the road to peace between two opposing states. It begins with a disagreement, escalates into violence and ends in compromise.

Obviously, this sounds quite unusual that in order to achieve peace you must go to war and potentially lose lives and I agree. So let’s get to the point.

In America, the first two major wars of our country were the revolutionary and the civil wars. The revolution came to a great ending where America defeated Great Britain and became and independent country. Now, the United States and England are the best of allies and two of the most powerful countries in the world. The civil war was a dispute between the Union and the Confederacy, which led to a war and then surrender. Now the United States is a peace-filled nation, united.

Other wars have done well also. World War II, for example, slit Europe in half, and the whole world against each other. Some bad decisions were made, but now just about all of Europe is a part of the European Union and almost every country in the world is a part of the United Nations. This war united the world.

An objective point of view would point out that the United States is currently involved in a war with no end in sight. This is true, but the current administration waged this war because it felt this country was endangered by a threat of an unstable leader having weapons of mass destruction. I believe it was better to prevent more terrorist attacks instead of waiting for them to happen and retaliate after. In order for this war to end there must be cooperation on all four sides- Democrats, Republicans, Iraqi Sunnis and Iraqi Shiites.

Overall, I feel that war is almost a necessary part of coming to peace between two opposing states, however, I do not feel that for every disagreement between two countries nor do I propose it as a primary way of trying to come to a compromise. Ultimately, war can bring a country better international relations, break trade barriers and lead to a better economy.

It’s true, I believe in war.