Joseph - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in the importance of music: listening, or playing an instrument.

When someone plays an instrument, they aren’t only learning music, but also self-discipline. Playing an instrument takes time, skill, and a good work ethic. When someone is good at playing music, it shows that they have utilized all three. Practicing with a good regimen every day causes one constantly to be in a work oriented mindset; even when away from their instrument. When musicians need to vent, they often turn to their music as a source for comfort.

Playing music can help relieve stress. When somebody is feeling a certain way, and they play music that corresponds with that mood, not only does it make one feel better, but it makes the music sound better as well. If someone is angry, they can easily vent their anger and frustration playing a piece or song that is relational to the state of mind they are in. When someone is experiencing the emotion that the music is supposed to be about, it adds depth and flavor to the playing of the music, giving it character, making it sound better. Even though there is a great number of people who play instruments, there is an equal number of people who don’t play an instrument.

A large amount of people go through life never having learned how to play an music, but still are influenced by listening to music that allows them to express themselves through other’s works. Everyone listens to music. Whether it is to classical, rap, or pop, people choose a style of music that is their own personal flavor. Some of these choices influence you negatively instead of being positive. Rap music gives of a negative connotation toward almost all forms of life. The immoral opinions or styles of few have tainted the soul of many good people. Even though there often is a bad image surrounding the majority of popular music, there also is a lot of music that gives uplifting in lieu of demeaning thoughts.

There are many lessons that can be learned from music: it can make you feel emotion, it can relieve stress. Self discipline becomes natural to everything after practicing an instrument. However, when used inappropriately, it helps to cause negative thought styles. The music of few affects the thought process of process of millions. Music is an important part of everyone’s life. How it is used remains to the individual.