Sarah - Shelby Township, Michigan

I believe that everybody should watch the Oprah Winfrey show. No matter who you are there is a show for you. While watching her show, I have learned about topics that I normally wouldn’t have learned about in school or from the media. I believe that everyone would benefit after watching the program.

This program is not only a show for women. It focuses on global issues such as the current genocide in Africa. In Sudan, the Africans who are not from Arab decent are treated as lower class because the Muslims of Arab decent believe that only they are pure Muslims. To protest against being treated as lower class because they are believed to be impure Muslims the African rebels attacked the military posts. The Sudanese government then sent Arab militia to attack those who planned this protest and also to wipe out the entire race of Muslims of African decent. Oprah covered this story very clearly with footage and interviews from people of Darfur, Sudan.

People of every race can enjoy the Oprah Winfrey Show because it features topics regarding human needs such as health, diet, and exercise. Dr. Mehmet Oz, a very accomplished doctor and author, is a regular on the prime time talk show. Dr. Oz talks about various health issues that apply to everyone. From diet and exercise, how our bodies process the fays, carbohydrates, and protein in our foods to everything you need to know and wanted to know about poop! America is in a health crisis and easy to understand and import into your life.

Oprah Winfrey is the wealthiest woman in the entertainment industry with a net worth of over $1.5 billion. Although Oprah has a significant amount of financial freedom that the rest of the public does not, she doesn’t think of herself better that anyone who is less financially stable than her. Oprah does not let this difference separate her from the issues facing the general public. Instead she uses her wealth to help people who are not as financially fortunate, one example where Oprah has used her wealth to help others has been finished very recently, “The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls.” A school she built in Africa for underprivileged young intelligent girls who have a great desire to learn. The school provides a comfortable safe learning environment for the girls to receive an education they might not have otherwise not be able to have.

There are many daytime talk shows but they can’t even compare to Oprah’s. While many daytime talk shows address only entertainment, gossip, and occasionally politics, The Oprah Winfrey Show addresses these topics as well as more important, educational, and life improving topics that apply to the majority of the American public however, The Oprah Show is not limited to only the issues facing the majority of American but all major and minor issues in the world today and tomorrow.

By covering all topics but not exclusive to global issues, health, political, and entertainment, The Oprah Winfrey Show can benefit everybody who watches it.