Audrey - Oak Park, Illinois

I believe in the power of education. I would like to tell you a story. This story is about a person. It could be a man or a woman. This person could be a father or a mother, a son or a daughter, it doesn’t matter. This person wanted to make a better life for them self and their family. They came to a new country. They didn’t speak the language and they didn’t know the customs, but they knew they would do whatever was needed to make things better.

This new country was a place where they could improve their lot in life. They could do this by gaining an education because in this new country an education was available to everyone.

This person could be you or my grandfather or your parents. The country is the United States of America because here we have something called a community college that everyone can attend.

Like its name says a community college is located in your community, where you live and where you work. It is inexpensive, costing a fraction of what any other college charges. It has an open-door admission policy. Community residents can attend no matter what their educational background.

So why did this person want an education? It will help them get a better job. It will give them security. But also being well educated makes them a better person. Educated people are more tolerant of others. Education opens whole new horizons. People can learn about things they never new existed or they can learn more about things they are familiar with. Being educated is a wonderful thing!

The father of a professor I know lost everything during World War II. He came to this country penniless and alone, but he did well and prospered because he was well educated. He used to say, “They can take everything away from you, but they can’t take your education.”

All of us have started your education and no one can take that away from us. That’s right, started, because learning is a lifelong pursuit.

I hope you have been taught how to learn and taught you to love learning.

I am proud to be an educator and I love to learn. When I can share that love with someone I feel happy and satisfied because I believe in the power of education.