Laura - Utica, Michigan

I believe that taking action to stop global warming is overrated and unnecessary. So far, scientists, Hollywood celebrities, and prominent politicians have said that the debate is over and global warming is a reality caused by man. Liberals who always stood by as skeptics against authority now refuse to tolerate anyone who disagrees with the concept of man-made global warming. Global warming deniers have been compared to holocaust deniers by those who say that the debate is over. I know the holocaust happened, and that the planet is slightly warmer. I also know there are not enough facts to blame this on man. The environmental movement is a hoax!

The world goes through warming and cooling cycles naturally. The argument is not whether or not we are currently going through a warming process. The question is: Is global warming caused by people and their irresponsibility?

At one time, during the Ice Age, the planet warmed. These events were not caused by man. The planet has been through warmer periods then now. Some have even been during earlier times when man lacked technology. Nothing people did at that time could be contributed to the warming then; but today, the results of the Industrial Revolution can be blamed on the warming by those who have an agenda.

We cannot actually warm the planet with pollution more than the earth does on its own. For example, Mount St. Helen’s eruptions polluted the world’s atmosphere in a matter of minutes. Man made CO2 emissions cannot compare to Mount St. Helen’s blast. Decades of man-made pollution cannot compare to nature’s natural pollutants, but this is not a problem as far as those concerned about the planet continuing on. The earth goes through natural cycles and renews itself. Times of warming and cooling will come and go as they did before. The small amount of man’s contribution to the atomic make-up of the atmosphere is insignificantly small.

Current world temperature risings do not correspond with rising CO2 levels in the atmosphere. The changes in temperature and climate that occur on earth have corresponded with activity on the sun. Just as the moon controls the tide on earth, the sun’s affect on earth is not often mentioned. The sun is not like a light bulb, giving off a constant light and heat unchanging. Scientists studying Mars have found it warming there affecting its icecaps. The sun is the common factor for all planets heating up in the solar system, not man. Most of the emphasis is placed on rising CO2 levels by the hysterical environmentalists. However, even with all of the extra CO2 that people have been dumping in the atmosphere, the actual level of CO2 remains minute. Even with the rising of CO2, the slight increase is not problematic. It is just more for the plants to take in and grow.

So why do so many people believe that global warming is man-made? It is because they believe what they are told to believe. They have never looked at the facts. Those who say that global warming deniers are scientists paid by corporations who have money to lose forget an important fact. All technology, even environmental friendly technology, is big business and stands to make a lot of money. Some of the champion global warming believers, like Al Gore, do not believe it enough themselves to stop flying their own private jets. The idea of global warming caused by people is just a tool in a political contest between the corporations who have gotten rich off of the old technologies versus those invested in businesses seeking to get rich from the new technologies.