Robert - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I Believe In Rationality

As humans we are able to reason, with ourselves and others. We are able to conjure up as many possibilities as we like, and choose what to do. Most of the choices we make happen very quickly, without webs, or diagrams, or notes. Yet a few poor choices, from only a few people, can cause us to lose our freedoms that we might never get back. This small amount of choices aren’t from a lack of thought, but an apparent lack of understanding of what is right and wrong. I am not referring to good and evil, but what the better thing to do is, for everyone. We no longer live in a time dominated by discrimination. Women work as engineers, and Mexicans do more than mow lawns. For the past two centuries, our technologies have seemingly made choices easier in life, when what I really notice happening is that the technology takes away our choices, making individuals less cunning, and somewhat unable to have any rationale.

At times there are decisions that are made that seem like the correct choice. For instance imagine a friendly work environment, and someone is trying to refer to a certain new team member as – “You know, the ‘small person’ ”. Nothing at all offensive was in the speaker’s tone, he or she just didn’t know the name of the new co-worker and was trying to figure it out. The dwarf overhears this, and, feeling that he has experienced discrimination, begins a vicious cycle.

Not only does the dwarf, whose medical diagnosis is dwarfism, block his or her co-workers from themselves, but the people trying to be polite are now considered bigots, assuming that “they” are all the same. What should happen in this scenario usually doesn’t; it’s not just the normal “Sorry I said _____,” like you had to do at recess in 4th grade, but now those that accidentally offended the person have to step beyond the mass media of having dwarfs on “reality TV”, and realize that this specific person has their own choice of what he or she would like to be called. It’s not just people with dwarfism, of course. For example, I am Mexican, and I love to be called Mexican, but do you think every Hispanic person does? Cubans and Puerto Ricans, among all others hate the label, like a Canadian being called a Yankee, or a Korean being called Chinese.

An integral part of being a human being, or more so a person, is the ability to decide on action, and understand its consequences. No other animal that we know of has the ability to foresee any future results from their actions. I believe in those who think, or at least try to think. I am not trying to hurt those who aren’t necessarily that smart, but I am trying to get those who don’t even think to start.