Jordan - Michigan

I believe that self help books are destroying America.

“The Nice Factor Book”, “A Life of One’s Own” and “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” are the titles that I found on one webpage of the two million webpages that appeared in the search when I typed in “self help” into Google. You can find a self help book for anything these days. You weigh too much buy the Atkins diet books. You think lowly of yourself pick up “See Your Way to Self Esteem”. I believe that everyone these days has become too dependent on other people for the simplest things.

When I sit down to take a test in math I can always predict the people who will be the ones to get and ask questions about every single problem given to them. This irritates me to no end because even if it is the simplest algebraic equation a student has to ask a question to reassure themselves that they are doing it right. My old math teacher almost lost her job because she refused to let these kids become dependent on her. This is a prime example of how depending on others is encouraged during childhood, and now with the plethora of self help books available this dependence is now very apparent in adulthood.

The main problem with a person’s dependence on a book to tell them how to live their life is that they abandon their own ideals, as this book has suddenly become their new Bible. Once they surrender their independence to this book, they can’t even do what the book sent out to do because it was misinterpreted. In most cases the book becomes forgotten on a shelf among the 20 other useless books you bought to better yourself.

There are over 5400 dieting books dispersed throughout the market. Each one has its own unique way of attacking an individual’s weight issues; such as you can stop eating carbohydrates, only drinking grapefruit juice, or just popping a pill. These are just a few of the thousand ways to lose weight, but every person is different and has different needs. This is why buying a self help book, and the likeliness that it will actually be the right one for an individual, is very slim. When one doesn’t work , you go out and blow another sixty dollars on another book that proclaims, it is the one to solve your problems.

Though there may be some people who find their own personal nirvana through a Self Help book. But I truly believe it when I say that Self Help books are just another form of control to keep people dependent on one another. I am also a firm believer that the only person you are helping when you purchase that book is the author of that book.