Adam - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I solely believe that having a job at a young age, whether it be fast food or leading this nation, teaches a person many things that you could also learn in school, and some things that you can’t.

When I got my first job as a cook at Hardee’s, I was only thinking about the first paycheck, and how easy it was going to be for me. After the training, I was sure it would be a breeze, but I was really wrong.

Having this job taught me how to work with a team more than at school, because I had to apply it to something that was important. Working as a team made me realize that I didn’t have to solely rely on myself for help. I realized that I had my friends, family, and co-workers, to pick me up when I was down, and they had me to help them in return. When I worked in a team, I didn’t get overwhelmed and stressed out like I did when the workload was just a little too much for me.

Having a job and making my own money taught me the value of money, although a dollar doesn’t go as far as it used to. When I spent my first paycheck, I didn’t realize what I had until it was gone. You see, when my parents bought everything for me, I thought, “when this one is gone, my parents can buy me another one,” but I was wrong. I neglected the things they bought for me, until I had to buy them for myself.

Working taught me responsibility, not the type of responsibility you learn from school or at home, but the kind of responsibility that you would have in the adult life. For me, responsibility in the workplace is important because it affects the way people looked at me: hard working, doesn’t waste time and is punctual, are some examples. When I showed responsibility in the workplace, my boss noticed and I got a raise, yay! When I got that reward and many others, I was happy and felt good about myself.

Working also taught me how to control myself so I wouldn’t go crazy and start cursing at the person who yelled at me just because they didn’t want onions on their burger. When someone yelled at me for making a mistake, I realized that I had made the mistake, and I didn’t flip out on them because it was my fault. The last thing I needed was to lose my job, and then lose the money I was so happy to be making.

All in all, I believe that working has taught me one of the most important life lessons, which is respect: respect for my parents, other people, and most of all myself. By working, I realize what some people go through everyday, whether they love their life or hate it.