Jaclyn - Sterling Hts., Michigan
Themes: love

“This I Believe”

I believe in having one marriage and one marriage only. I believe that marriage is not being taken seriously anymore and therefore has resulted in a record-breaking divorce rate of over 50 percent! I also believe that marriages end in failure mainly because the couples have not gotten a chance to fully get to know each other, whether it be due to not dating long enough or more likely because they haven’t seen both sides of their partner until they have lived together.

Many people believe it is immoral to live with someone before you get married to them, but I believe it is almost necessary to do so in order to truly find out who the person really is before you vow to spend the rest of your life with them. We all have a different personality that we show when we are in different situations. Everyone wants to look their best and make a good impression when they first meet someone, especially out in public. But we all have our flaws and personality quirks that we only reveal at home in front of our family members or our best friend. These are not always bad, but can and often do damage relationships because it makes people look as if they have been hiding behind a fake-facade all along. When you live with someone, you get to see just it would be to wake-up every morning with the same person you have committed your life to. If couples can’t handle living together by themselves, how will they manage to raise a family later in life if they were to have children?

Divorce not only affects those who have separated, but it takes a major toll on their children. Seeing their parents always arguing over the same things, or being forced to choose which parent they want to live with is probably the biggest dilemma a young child could ever face. In many cases, divorce leaves children feeling unloved, unwanted and as the ones at fault, yet adults seem to see it as an easy solution to their “newly surfaced” problems. Only in harmful cases, such as spousal abuse, should a divorce be filed. When you say “I do” it means you are committed to loving this person “for better and for worse, until death do you part”. Many people settle on a less than perfect relationship because they may feel desperate or know that if it just doesn’t work out they can simply get divorced and try again. But marriage isn’t like dating where you can just break-up and move on. The whole point of dating is to find the love of your life, and only then when you are 100 percent positive that you belong together, get married.

I believe there is someone special out there for everyone, someone who has been searching, just like everyone else, to find their perfect match. I also believe that everything happens and soul mates are found when the time is right, it’s just a matter of searching and waiting.