Joshua - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in… well, what exactly? It’s a very good question. As a person who questions everything he can, it’s difficult for me to actually make a concrete decision and declare my belief in something. I no longer necessarily believe in God, but I don’t necessarily believe there isn’t a God either, because there’s no concrete evidence either way and I don’t find it to be a very relevant topic that pertains to my life. Knowing what I do I find it hard to even believe in the naturally good spirit of mankind.

The dilemma comes in the fact that I don’t want to declare that I don’t believe in anything either, because that doesn’t say much about me as a human being. There must be something I believe in, right? Do I even believe that I, myself, am a good person? They are very good questions, indeed. I guess the best way to start is to start small.

I believe that I exist. I believe that I have a family and friends that care about me. I believe I’m regarded as being intelligent. I believe that my dog will never learn that the treat was in my hand the whole time. I believe in the power of technology, for better or worse. I believe that religion has an important place in many people’s lives, just not in mine. I believe that rock music is the best music, hands down. I believe my friends will always be there for me, even if I don’t want them to, and I believe that’s probably for the best.

I guess I do believe I’m a good person, because I believe I was raised by very good parents that did a great job. I believe that I’m graduating high school in a couple months and actually going to MIT in the fall. I believe that video games have contributed to my development as much as my education has, and that both have been vitally important. I believe my dad will never run out of things to talk about. I believe in exceptionally good days.

I believe that we can make it better, whatever it may be. I believe being on my robotics team has been one of the greatest experiences in my life so far. I believe history is quite biased. I believe my music collection is one of my most valuable possessions. I believe in the power of laughter. I believe my sister will never be a good driver. I believe in second chances. I believe in forgiveness. I believe in science and proven fact. I believe that it seems that I actually believe in quite a few things.