Joseph - Michigan

Try to remember the feelings you had the first time you drove a car. You were probably a little scared, but also very excited. There was also an enormous sense of freedom. Freedom is something everyone strives towards.

When your boss tells you to do something you don’t want to do, you feel like you don’t have any freedom. In this position you long to be the boss – so you can have a taste of freedom. Then one day, after you’ve become the boss, you have a really upset customer, and they demand so much from you. Again you will feel your life is dictated by outside events. You have no control over your own destiny. You might even wish that you were back in your old position, because you don’t want to deal with the responsibility your job now entails. You don’t know if you can pay the price the freedom has cost. With new found freedom comes new responsibility.

If you speak to someone who wears glasses they might say they are free, but if you talk to someone in a wheelchair they might disagree. They both have some kind of handicap. One of them can’t see well, the other can’t walk. Their difference is how they look at their disability. One sees it as an impediment, the other, just another step to getting ready in the morning. Thus we can see the true meaning of freedom, the ability to do what you want, when you’d like to do it. With this definition we can assume that most people believe they are free due to their current situation; with a change in situation comes a change in your perception of your freedom. Now if we were to learn how to see beyond our initial reaction to a change, numerous different paths to being free would become available. Freedom becomes malleable; it becomes whatever we shape it to be.

All in all, humans make their own freedom. If they think they’re free than they are, if they don’t, than they’re not. Although this freedom is granted from ones self it comes at a price. That price is the responsibility to use this freedom in the right way. Without that, freedom could not exist. I believe that freedom comes from within, and always entails some sort of responsibility.