Angela - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in the value of a sense of humor.

A sense of humor is the ability to laugh, something that I know I couldn’t live without. Having a sense of humor is like having the medicine to cure a bad feeling, to live longer and to look younger, takes the boredom out of life, and it is also good for your body. When you laugh, you’re getting oxygen into all the cells in your body, which is something you need for energy and vitality. And as a result, you’re lowering your blood pressure, reducing your pain levels, and even helping your cholesterol. It’s no lie that I am doing my body well; I am easily amused so I laugh at a lot of things. Laughing is like a drug, and if it was, I would be addicted to it, because when I do laugh it makes me feel great, which is why I value it so much.

Not everyone may think that the same things are funny, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a sense of humor, they just find different things humorous. When I go over to my dad’s house all of us will be watching TV and my step- mom will find something really funny and my dad will just sit there with a straight look on his face. It’s the same way the other way around, he will find something funny and she doesn’t think it’s that funny. People that I surround myself with are generally people who find the same things funny as I do. It would be a drag to surround yourself with people who you can’t have a laugh with. I know that when I am bored or just not in a good mood I will go and annoy my younger brother because it usually ends with us on the floor dying of laughter.

In school some classes aren’t the most exciting and I tend to want to fall asleep. When I am close to falling asleep is when I am most thankful for the people who know how to make things like everyday subjects funny. For example when I am about to fall asleep I just take a look around the room and see another one of my class mates asleep drooling on the desk. Once I have had a good laugh it’s so much easier to stay awake.

Not only when things get boring is it good to have a sense of humor, but also when something embarrassing happens. I was playing dodge ball and there were a lot of people watching. I threw a ball and someone on the opposite team caught it so I was out. As I was going to leave the floor I tripped over someone’s foot and fell to the floor in front of what seemed like the whole school. Without my sense of humor and the ability to laugh at myself, I would have never gotten over it.

Having a sense of humor gives us a break that we need from life sometimes. No one could possibly be serious their whole life and if they were they probably wouldn’t live very long. Even if someone without a sense of humor did live a long time, there wouldn’t be much point in that living because they weren’t enjoying life.