Andrew - Virginia Beach, Virginia

This I Believe: Without the Service

This I believe: that if the opportunity to serve my country had not been available to me that I wouldn’t be where I am today. I am not trying to come off as arrogant, but without the service to my country that I was able to provide I wouldn’t be in the position I am now, to make my own destiny instead of destiny making my way. The chance that I received is also the chance that I believe that everyone should be afforded, and having the draft instituted would help to create and instill some of the values that have been lost in this country over the past thirty years.

I believe that with all that the military service has to offer with my ability to have a secure job with benefits and a steady paycheck that I have been able to achieve goals for myself that would not have been able to achieve until I was older and in a position of responsibility that the military has afforded me at a young age like being able to operate a very expensive aircraft with basic on the job training. The ability to be able to buy my own place and be able to remodel and fix it up at the young age of twenty, because of the ability of the military to create a good report with the community, giving young responsible service members the ability to achieve goals at a young age. I believe I wouldn’t have gone to school to further my education that I believe is so valuable to me without the military’s financial backing allowing me to skirt costs that would have and do hinder many others from moving into better lives until they are able to move beyond the strain of students loans accrued in school.

I believe that service to the country should be a first choice for many youths out of school, by instituting a draft; we would be able to instill values and responsible actions for young adults that aren’t gained until they are older. I believe many of the values lost to unpatriotic rebelling in the 70’s that cause many of the youth in the country to grow up despising the government and the military but the underlying truth is that the military creates opportunities and values that are taught right away from the first days in to the last days out. This I believe would allow America to once again regain its true identity.