James - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in student potential. Anyone can learn if they want to. And even though all kids are not born with the same intelligence level, every one of them has the ability to learn. I doubt that children are born good or bad entirely. I believe that children affected and influenced by their environment, and shape their behavior based on he closest people to them. I also believe that the level of success in school is related to he amount of support and encouragement at home.

The potential of students help them to become responsible, self-prepared adults. School reflects and promotes the values in society. Schools teach values such as sharing, compromise, and teamwork. All of these are used in everyday life and are important social skills used in the work force. However, the students have to want to be willing to learn. They have to realize that everyone is different, and that diversity is a good thing. I think that there are many types of intelligence, and that a child’s creativity is just as important as logic, if not more.

I believe that in some cases where a student doesn’t cooperate could be because of the teacher’s methods. For example, things such as understanding, tolerance, and forgiveness are skills that are needed to help students express their concerns and feelings. Teachers should be open to new methods and never resort to a vast amount of discipline. I believe that time spent on discipline isn’t related to success and achievement. Teachers have to be flexible. If they keep taking away privileges and threaten the students, the students will eventually feel intimidated and trapped like victims.

I believe that success doesn’t come from just getting by with the bare minimum. Students need to be challenged to push themselves to go beyond their call of duty. In the end, one of the most important things a child needs to succeed in life is to have someone to believe in them. I believe that someday, I’ll grow to become that type of person.