Katie - Sterling heights, Michigan
Themes: environment

I Believe that the World is Coming to an End

I believe that the world is coming to an end. There are so many global issues and I don’t think they’re going to get any better. Right now we are dealing with global warming, war and economy problems. These issues could affect everything. There is less and less hope for our planet every day and it’s sad because we have the potential to be great. I truly believe in God and I assume he did not put us here to destroy his creation. I’m sure he wants nothing more than to see everyone happy and living successfully, but we are ruining everything when we ignore what we have done and what can happen to the world.

The human population has ruined the Earth’s environment. All the chemicals we put into the water, land, and atmosphere every year is terrible, we’re are breaking down the ozone layer and polluting our land and water. Because of Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC’s, like aerosol sprays and Styrofoam.) the ozone layer is starting to deplete. More CFC’s in the atmosphere causes the ozone hole to get bigger, which adds more heat and radiation that will cause the global temperature to rise. Global warming will melt the ice caps and cause the sea level to rise. A new sea level could flood coastal plains and any land underneath the new sea level will be gone. All the bodies of water on the planet are connected in some way, so rivers, lakes, springs, and oceans will rise. This means that Michigan could one day be gone because it is surrounded by water on three sides. We could lose islands, entire countries, and ultimately all land. The worst outcome of global warming would be the global temperature rising to an extreme temperature, enough to be unsuitable for humans and other species to survive. Another issue is that we are cutting down all the trees and plants that provide oxygen for the atmosphere and one day it will affect all living things. I learned that the average amount of oxygen is 21%, and you hit unconsciousness at 9%, if the oxygen level drops below 9%, you will die. These environmental issues are inevitable; there’s only worse to come.

Religion and war are other big issues found all over the world. Almost all the wars and hatred in the world are based on conflict of religion. Many people have, and will, fight for what they believe in. We have such hatred in the world that there are people fighting all over: countries in Africa, the United States and Iraq, and North and South Korea. Most of these countries have weapons of mass destruction that can put millions of people in danger. I wouldn’t be surprised if mankind killed all of mankind, and I think because of the direction everything is moving in, it won’t be long.

Times are so hard right now with the economy and complete civilization. I think it’s getting harder and harder every year to live with financial problems. Many people are in debt or can’t get a job. Just think about the people in Africa that are barely surviving. There are so many people that are lucky if they even have enough food to survive on. What about all the diseases they suffer from because there is no treatment provided for them? It’s all so depressing.

So unless we advance very quickly and find solutions for all these global issues, I don’t see the world lasting as near as many years as it already has. I don’t think our planet, and way of life will last more than four generations or 150 years. I truly believe that my great, great grandchildren will experience the end. It would take a miracle to change the direction we’re heading, and the outcome; and that’s why I believe that the world is coming to an end.