Brad - Sterling Heights, Michigan

I believe in chaos…

The word chaos is defined as a state of utter confusion. It is the opposing force of order. Chaos originates from Greek language and it simply means unpredictability.

Many people find chaotic times to be harsh and brutal. Chaos can bring people to their ultimate lows and these events may lead to their suicide. Chaos can range from street riots caused by the Hamas in Israel to a student whom is overwhelmed with balancing school work, sports, a girlfriend, friends, and family. Whether it is one, or the other, it causes great amounts of stress.

Chaos may be the downfall of many people, yet I find it to be a true judge of character. Chaos separates those whom crumble under pressure from those whom excel in strenuous situations. Chaos reveals the true leaders of a group. It shows how one can take over a situation and return everything to order. These people, revealed through chaotic situations, are the true heroes of our time. Chaos will also strengthen the “followers” whom were involved in these situations. These “followers”, whom were either inspired by other’s actions or appalled by events occurring, are more likely to become the hero the second time around. This cycle repeats itself throughout time, influencing, even changing the lives of numerous people.

One may think of chaos as a destroyer of society, an annihilator of what is good. Chaos will cause the collapsing of buildings, the crumbling of roads, and the deaths of people. However, Chaos is essential for the growth and advancement of our society. It reveals where one can improve. For a student, it may be improving his procrastinating tendencies or becoming more organized. If a large chaotic event occurs, it may reveal a societal issue which has been neglected for a period of time. Chaos can reveal the problems of our society.

Have you ever wondered what a world might be like with the absence of chaos? The world would be much different than it is today. The world would be tranquil, organized, and “happy”. However, we all have that primal edge, that need for adventure, which needs to be satisfied every so often. If chaos did not exist in society, the days that passed would be very monotonous. We may be content with our lives in those times because we know nothing better, but chaos does balance our lives. Society as we know it, lives off of chaos.

Chaos is also a cause of fear. People fear chaotic situations and therefore avoid causing them. One such example of this is our local banks. We do not walk into a bank and rob the place dry. Why is this? It is because we fear the following chaotic situation when twenty police cars arrive with guns drawn. So, in an odd sense, chaos…. or more, the fear of chaos, causes order.

All in all, chaos has been engraved into our society. We created jobs to sustain order(police officers). It fulfills our primitive urges to risk and endanger ourselves. It balances our society and reveals the superior leaders. Yes, chaos may be troublesome for some, but I find it to be an essential part of society. I believe in chaos…