Kristin - Savannah, Missouri
Themes: Christianity

“I Believe”

My father closed his business a couple of years ago. He had been with this business for over twenty years. The day I had found out my Dad was being forced to close his business I was devastated. How could this be happening to me? With my Dad being unemployed for a period of time, we had a significant decrease in our household income. I soon found out that life was going to be a lot different.

If I wanted something I would have to supply my own money to buy it. This was a very hard concept for me to grasp because I didn’t have a job and I hadn’t experienced this before. At that point I felt helpless. How was I going to make enough money to pay for piano and flute lessons at the college level, manage a job, keep up my grades, stay actively involved in school and the community, and still have time to practice? I became overwhelmed with everything that had all of a sudden been thrown upon me. I had no idea on how I was going to get through this on my own.

I was stressed out all the time trying to keep up with life, and it was beginning to affect my health. It was around Christmas time and I was at, what felt like, an all time low. On Christmas I opened this package from my Grandma and in it was a frame. In the frame was a cross-stitch that read, “I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me.” I really feel that God was trying to make his point. Suddenly I was filled with hope and motivation to keep going. I no longer felt like I was on my own. Without realizing it, I had had a helper right by my side the whole time.

God works in mysterious ways. Even though I hated going through the valley I was in, I feel like I drove out of it and that I am a much stronger person now. God has shown me that “I CAN do all things thru Christ who strengthens me.” I started out trying to get through everything on my own and obviously that didn’t work. I was stressed out and digging my hole deeper and deeper. With Christ by my side I was able to overcome everything that happened.

Throughout life, we find ourselves in many valleys. These valleys may include things like a bad day where nothing seems to go right, or it may consist of a series of bad things happening over a longer period of time. I believe that anyone can make it through these hard times in life to make it through the valleys and on top of the mountains. Life is a road that goes over mountains and through valleys but with the saying, “I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me,” I believe that you will never run out of gas to keep your car moving forward on this road called life.