Kathryn - sterling heights, Michigan
Themes: golden rule

I believe you can’t love anyone until you love yourself. The song “Greatest Love of All,” written by Michael Masser and Linda Creed says, “Learning to love yourself, it is the greatest love of all.” There are many types of love that we have for the people in our lives: love for a romantic relationship, for our family, for children, for friends, for animals, in general, and for ourselves. Which should be our first priority? Is self-love the “Greatest Love of All”?

In life we find it easy to allow ourselves to love other people, but when it comes to loving ourselves we’re more forgetful. Infact we forget about our own perfections. So, how do you learn to put aside all the should of, could of, and would of’s we face, and really begin to love ourselves? I can remember a time when all I wanted was to love and feel it back. I guess it didn’t matter if I was really loved or just shown affection. Love is not something we can make happen. I don’t care how much you try to make someone love you; it’s not possible. You can’t earn love. Respect maybe, but not love. It’s the sort of thing that’s either there or it isn’t. You can’t buy love either. If you are not loved for who you are then nothing will satisfy the need you have to be loved.

Have you ever just stared in the mirror and laid your eyes on an image of your reflection that made you smile? You don’t know why it made you smile but the feeling inside came from deep down inside. That feeling was love. When that mirror greeted you, you smiled; you felt something that changed you. This is accepting the love for yourself that was forgotten about, because we are always to busy trying to earn love from others. Some of us have been told it’s wrong to love ourselves, but I believe you can not love anyone else until you love yourself.

Love your neighbor as yourself means you have to love yourself and be able to reflect that love on others. The more you realize how complete and unique you really are, the more you attract people because you feel secure and confident about yourself. Have you looked into that mirror and smiled upon your reflection? All we have ever wanted was to feel loved. We can do this for ourselves with out relying on other people. Love is always with us we just have to start with the baby steps and work our way forward.