Jordan - Florence, Kentucky
Themes: carpe diem

Open Top Experience

“It’s something unpredictable, but in the end is right. I hope you had the time of your life.” This well recognized line from the notable band Greenday is one that each of us is faced with in our everyday lives. On our journeys through life, we are forced to face difficult times when we must close one chapter and start a new. Going to high school, getting married, and moving on from the death of a loved one are all changes that we are compelled to reconcile with. These unforgettable moments often spark emotions that, after endless tries, are difficult to relieve ourselves of. During these times we long for just that one opportunity to feel selfless and completely untroubled from sadness. I believe in the simple act of riding in a convertible with the wind blowing through my hair as a way to feel that freedom I often dream of.

As a senior in high school, it is safe to say that the experiences I have had are definitely ones that will not be forgotten. On top of the privilege of being that upper-class woman, I have had the opportunity to experience indescribable friendships, encounter life-changing mentors, and most importantly carry out my life long passion for dance. A majority of the past four years have been spent competing in various competitions and performing in school musicals. With graduation in sight, I have found myself reflecting on these moments with tear-filled eyes because I now have to close that chapter of never-ending rehearsals, great companions and those occasions under the bright spotlights on the stage. My stress levels have risen and emotions have gone crazy as I fear leaving my comfort zone behind.

Just recently, I found myself in a 1971 convertible with some of my closest play friends on our regular endeavor to get an icee. Within that five minute car ride, I felt a sense of relief and relaxation that has never been felt before. I was no longer bottled up with depression and distress, in fact I was not thinking at all. My body was so lifeless yet so full of energy. With the wind blowing through my hair, I felt comfortable and subdued and it was truly an out of body experience.

We all have our own ways and means of releasing the tensions and pressures everyday life has in store for us. But it is those unexpected moments, in which we feel completely carefree, that we often resort back to in our times of trouble. Just the simple act of riding in the car and feeling the connection with nature can help to change the way one feels. When it is time for those enjoyable chapters of our pasts to close, remember that even an effortless action can bring about such consolation. This I truly believe.