Lesley - Edgewood, Kentucky
Themes: nature

“Star Light, Star Bright”

I believe in star gazing. It never gets old. There is just something about taking time out to lay back, relax, and think. Why am I here? Is there a reason for everything that happens?

Problems that have been on my mind for days seem to melt away. Nothing really matters because I compare my life to the earth; there is no comparison. That math test that I just failed somehow seems quite insignificant. The fact that I ripped my favorite pair of jeans means nothing when I think that someone just diagnosed with cancer could be staring at the same starry sky asking the same question, “why?”

It makes me wonder about time. What is it and how much do I have left? It takes me back to my childhood laying on the warm blacktop with a cool night breeze rolling over my body. Simply put, it puts life simply. Clocks don’t exist; nothing needs to be finished. There is only me and the millions of stars in the sky.

When I lay beneath the stars, they show me truth and beauty. I contemplate my future and wonder where my path will lead. The stars find a way to show me a newfound knowledge. Under the stars I find what I need.

Star gazing means taking time out of my busy schedule to reconnect with myself. It allows me to draw closer to God through nature and deep thought. With this time I find that I can think more clearly and express my thoughts on my terms. It does not change who I am, but gives me permission to find out about the real me.

Last year on a cool August night, I came home from an emotional soccer game. Tears streaming down my face, I went outside underneath the black sky blanketed with stars. I laid there for over two hours, searching the sky and my soul for courage and confidence that had been lost through previous disappointment. After some time of just being, I felt calm. It did not matter that the game could not be erased because after gazing at the stars I felt a strong sense of responsibility to push myself forward through this hardship.

I ended up finding my courage that night. And I thank the stars above for helping me discover what was missing. I continued to work through my trials and strived toward making my goals come true. In a way I think I am connected to the stars. They are my way of balancing life with stress. Star gazing means that I have an outlet whether life doesn’t go my way or I just need a break.