Sandra - Shelby Township, Michigan
Themes: atheism

I believe there is no god. To me it is quite impossible, and I have been going to church for as long as I can remember. This so called “god” to me is quite pathetic. It is very hard for me to understand why people worship and obsess over this fictional being. As an 18 year old you might think I am just trying to be rebellious, but if you can honestly tell me that you have read the bible and agree with it than I think you’re naive or so unsure of your self that you have to linger over some one else’s opinions and thoughts.

Take Noah’s Ark for example. You probably think “what a cute story”, but have you actually read it? God was angry with man and decided to totally wipe out man’s existence. He chose Noah, his family, and two of every animal to save. What about forgiveness? Obviously “god” has no sense of forgiveness. Next we have the story of Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden and god told them not to eat the forbidden fruit. But Adam and Eve didn’t listen and ate the fruit. So what was gods punishment? Making child birth painful. Did Adam suffer any specific punishment? He ate the fruit also. I guess god is to sexist to punish a man.

I am not a totally uniformed young woman. I have been going to church since I was a baby every week. In recent years I have started to understand the nonsense the church is brainwashing me with. I never realized or questioned how sexist and cruel “God” is. In the readings at my church they never mentioned anything about punishing Eve, or God trying to wipe out the entire world with the flood. They sugar coats things to suit them, and change the rules when and how they want.

One of the biggest hypocrisies in the Catholic church is their ability to change the rules to suit them not their followers. Approximately 40 years ago you were excommunicated for divorce or using birth control. Women bore the brunt of this punishment. They were the ones who were ostracized from their communities, church, and families. Even if their spouse was abusive or having affairs it did not matter. It was always the woman’s fault. Today the rules have been somewhat relaxed, but women still bare the brunt of responsibility and blame when something goes wrong in a marriage. While things are getting better it doesn’t help the women who suffered years ago from the dictates of the Catholic church and continue to suffer today. It seems to me the church continues to dictate law to benefit the religion instead of the people they are supposed to guide and serve.

I find it hard to believe that men and women are letting this “god” dictate their lives to the point of misery. Life shouldn’t be about abiding by the rules dictated by the Catholic church. Call me atheist, call me a pagan, tell me I am going to hell but I still believe there is no god.