Bridget - Grandville, Michigan

I believe in angels and I believe they make a difference in my life. Angels can be dead people and they can be in human or animal form. My mom has frequently told me she has felt her father’s presence in times of need. I never felt that I had angels in my life when I was a child and that was disappointing. However, angels don’t always make their presence known.

I had a friend commit suicide when I was nineteen. Although I was raised Catholic and had been told many times the consequence of killing yourself, I could not believe that my friend would be separated from God for eternity. A few weeks after he died, he came to me in a dream and said that I didn’t need to worry about him anymore, he was okay, he was happy. Although I still grieve for him and always will, I feel that he is watching over me and I am comforted.

I very much wanted a cat when I was twenty one. I after much discussion, my boyfriend drove me to a farm and let me pick out a kitten for Easter. The first kitten offered was a little white one named “Angel”. No, I did not pick her! (Thought you had me didn’t you?) The second kitten offered was a grey and white one named “Mischief”. I looked at that kitten and fell in love. We took her home and renamed her Genesis. But she was still mischievous. That cat has been a miracle and an angel. When I was pregnant and throwing up around the clock, she would walk me to the toilet, wait for me while I puked, them walk me back to bed. She spent every minute of that miserable pregnancy by my side and is now my daughter’s best friend.

Which brings me to my number one angel. I know all mothers believe that their children were sent from heaven and they saved their lives, and I won’t pretend that my child is any different. However, I will say that my life has completely turned around since my daughter was born and I am a much better person because of her. Having her made me stop drinking and I became devoted to making the world a better place because of her. I am getting my Master’s degree in social work in a month. I want to make the world better for my daughter and I want her to make the world a better place. She inspires me to be better and I can say that about no one else. My love is so deep for her that I could weep. So that is why I hope she is lucky enough to also have angels in her life and she will discover them early. They have given me such hope and comfort.