Ladean - Mechanicville, New York

I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF PRAYER

Two years ago when my oldest daughter turned 18, she rebelled. When she moved out of our house on Christmas, I was devastated. A few months later, she left the state to moved in with a married man. I found myself questioning my life and what really mattered to me. I realized how much I needed my faith in God. I began to attend church with my two other children. After a few weeks, I joined the women’s prayer group and heard many testimonies of answered prayer. I realized that prayer had the power to change people’s lives.

My husband didn’t want anything to do with God. Joe’s life was very contradictory to my new life. For the first time, we were not in agreement about anything, from our daily lives to our future. It was a painful time in my life, first to lose my daughter and then to be in a constant struggle with Joe. So, I prayed.

I read the book, The Power of a Praying Wife, by Stormie Omartian. I learned to pray about specific things for Joe. He had some gambling buddies and I prayed that God would remove them from our lives. I prayed against alcohol and gambling and that Joe would lose his desire for these things. I asked others to agree with me in prayer for Joe and soon had a circle of women praying for him.

For almost two years I prayed for Joe. When a disagreement took one couple out of our lives, we realized that time had distanced another friend. God had started to answer my prayers for Joe. On Thanksgiving night, Joe and I were talking about a friend of ours that is a wonderful piano player at our old church. Joe was trying to remember this one song that she played that had an awesome introduction. I mentioned that I had the video in the bedroom and did he want to see it. As he was pouring a drink he said, “Sure, but this doesn’t mean anything.” As I went down the hall to get the video, I stuck my head in my son’s bedroom and asked him to pray for his Dad.

About three songs into the video, Joe broke down and came back to the Lord. He asked me to pour all the liquor down the drain. Joe lost all his desire for drinking and gambling. We were all amazed that Joe was never plagued with withdrawal from this addiction. Today marks eleven weeks without cigarettes. Although this was a greater struggle, the prayers have sustained him. He even goes to church with us and has made new friends there.

I know that it is just a matter of time before God answers my prayers for my daughter to return to our family. After all, I believe in the power of pray to change lives. I see the evidence of this transforming power everyday in Joe’s life.