Kristin - Peachtree City, Georgia

I believe I learned everything I need to know in fifth grade. Think about it. During high school, you just learn fancy ways of doing things you already know how to do. Algebra is nothing but adding and multiplying with letters and strange symbols instead of numbers. And do you really need to know the anatomy of a tadpole to pass the bar exam?

I remember in fifth grade thinking, “Will I ever use this?” And by God I did use it. I still use things my teacher Mr. Terribury taught me today! And that’s all I have really used since. I learned to read maps, spell, use proper English, speak in front of others, got an award for being responsible, manage my time, type on computers, use the internet, work calculators, write poetry, be imaginative and creative. Heck, I was ready for the real world and a full time job when I was 10!

I believe that middle and high school are bumpers on the bowling ally of life. They keep you headed towards college while you are maturing physically so you can drive when you attend a university or drink when you go to a party. High School is like a buffer, a safe zone, where teachers harass you and you have no civil liberties at all and the Bill of Rights does not exist outside of the History class room. At least in 5th grade people pretended to care. Plus you had recess. Recess was like a break to relax in a busy rough work day.

So next time you round the total of your grocery purchases, write a letter, or use a road map, remember where you learned it. Because I know it was not in Chemistry, AP World History or Calculus. I’m guessing a lot of you are coming to a sad realization that I have already accepted- High School, is a waste of our time.