Omari - Dorchester, Massachusetts
Themes: setbacks

2.6.07 This I Believe

FAILURE, I really believe there is a true power within it. The power of failure is a force not to be reckoned with. Whenever I fail in a certain area or field, there is a question that automatically pops up in my head, why? My teacher once told me that “The person who knows how will always answer to the person who knows why.” This means that if you know how you failed, you will know why you failed. This is one of the many things I believe.

After this question I have a choice to ignore the question and accept myself as a failure or take a walk onto the path of success. Some key elements or tools I need to come from a failure to a perfect example of success are consistency and faith. Here is one of my personal experiences. When I was in second grade, spelling was one of my big difficulties, even though I enjoyed the subject I never seemed to excel in it. I considered myself a failure in these terms.

After my teacher had told me how I wasn’t doing well, I knew why. On that same note, I developed a strategy for spelling; I started to sound words out more during test and reports. When I got my test back I saw that I had significantly improved. During my learning process I had to understand how to keep my consistency and not stop midway. I also had to keep my faith in myself, having confidence and trust within me. “One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks.”- Jack Penn, This I believe.