Colin - Belmont, Massachusetts
Themes: sports

“If you are not making mistakes then you are not doing anything. I’m positive that a doer makes mistakes” is a quote from John Wooden. I believe this to be true because if one is not making mistakes then they are not trying their best. If one is scared of making mistakes and they are not trying then that is a mistake all in itself. Because nobody is perfect this quote is true.

I am a goalie for the seventh and eighth grade soccer team at Belmont Day School. I make mistakes all the time and sometimes I make mistakes more than once. Whenever I make mistakes I always make a mental note of what I did wrong so that next time I get into that situation I know what to do. It is impossible to block every shot. It is never and individual’s fault it is the teams fault.

I like to play a net game of tennis. Playing at the net is hard for you as well as you opponent. In tennis a doer can be very hard. Making mistakes in a tennis match can cost you a lot but the better you are at it the better you become. Doing for me means going up to the net and putting pressure on the opponent. This makes it hard for me as well as my opponent. When returning a shot at the net you need to place the shot so that you opponent has the least chance of getting to it. Then after you hit the shot you move to a spot that the opponent is most likely to hit it to. This is where I make my mistakes. I don’t position myself right and the opponent ends up hitting the ball right past me.

The way I learn from my mistakes is I practice a lot. Yes you need to push yourself to go up to the net but you can only get better. Sometimes I have to do it many times in order to get it right because I return the ball different places but eventually I am able get it right.

If nobody made any mistakes then we wouldn’t know anything. Nobody wants to make mistakes but a mistake to once person is a lesson to another person. Sometimes you don’t want to believe that you have made a mistake and you need someone to tell you that you have made a mistake and you need to be willing to accept it. By making mistakes you are also teaching other people something. Once they know what mistake you made then they will learn from it as well.