Kim - Belmont, Massachusetts

If you believe in yourself you can do anything

Lately I have been very busy and have been under a lot of pressure. Right when I thought everything was hopeless my parents received test scores back from a test I had taken recently. They had surprisingly improved. When my dad came home that day he came up to my room and told me how proud he was of me. I tried not to acknowledge the fact that I was in fact proud of myself because I did not want to make it a bug deal. He hugged me and told me not to give up. The more I thought about what my dad had said the more I knew I had to keep going. My dad told me I had to be like the Patriots in one of their games. Everyone thought they were going to lose, but at the end of the game they ended up winning. They did not give up, and believed they could win.

Believing in yourself is knowing who you are and what you are capable of. It is also thinking you could be capable of more then you thought. You must trust your judgments and opinions. Be true to yourself, through it all. If you do this you can achieve so much more then you ever imagined. I believe that if you believe in yourself you can do whatever you put your mind to.

Two summers ago when I was on Cape Cod, I was very nervous about going sailing for the first time. I did not think I was going to be good at sailing and was very scared of capsizing. However, once I got out on the ocean and started sailing with all the other kids that had not sailed either, I found out I was not alone. I tried my hardest each day to get better than I had been the day before. This past summer, I was awarded the Instructor’s Award and moved up a class level. I believed that I could achieve my goals and exceeded my expectations.

When I feel down I think about all the things I have done. Knowing this, gives me the confidence and strength to keep trying. Once you accomplish something that you did not think you could, you gain more self-confidence. You should never second-guess yourself. If you follow your heart you’ll never get lost.