Kate - Acton, Massachusetts

I believe in being a vegetarian. This is easy for me because I have always been one since birth. For others it is harder because they have to get used to not eating meat, to ordering veggie burgers instead of hamburgers, to eating lost of tofu, and to living without bacon. (Being a vegetarian can be easy if you approach it the right way, but it can be hard if you approach it the wring way.) For example, don’t go to a steak house for dinner and expect to have a good meal without some negotiations. One has to know where to go out to eat. Also, it is good to warn people that you are a vegetarian. For example, I once went to a friend’s house and her father prepared a wonderful piece of steak for me complete with sauce swirls and little parsley bits. When I didn’t eat it he was really offended. I told him I was a vegetarian and that I was really sorry that I didn’t warn him before I came. But I guess he never really forgave me, because he loved to cook for people and was very protective of his food.

I am not really sure that people understand being a vegetarian. Some say the meat is there, so why not eat it, and so they do. But that makes one less piece of meat in the world so another piece of meat has to be made and then another animal has to be killed to keep up with all the meat being eaten and on goes the animal slaughter. And all of this for our enjoyment.

Also think of some of the other things happening for our dietary craving. I recently read an article on how non-grass fed beef is manufactured. The cows are packed into small fields, well not even fields but cement pastures. They literally wade around in their own waste. They are also not fed on grass, hay, or oats; they are fed corn, which makes the cows sick but it makes them get fat really quickly.

Since they get sick from eating the corn, the cows are given antibiotics. If we eat meat and the cows that have eaten the antibiotics, then we too are ingesting cow antibiotics. Although the antibiotics are for cows they make people react less and less to our antibiotics like Advil. So, the big antibiotic companies have to add more to their products to make them effective. And antibiotics are drugs so they are not good for us in large quantities. In a few years antibiotics will probably be doing more harm then help.

I think that the more people who become vegetarian the better. So, it is your choice what you are eating, but if I wasn’t a vegetarian now I definitely would become one soon. For I believe in being a vegetarian.